Awarded annually, the Karen Schmeer Film Editing Fellowship was created in 2010 to honor the memory of gifted editor Karen Schmeer. It is a year-long experience that encourages and champions the talent of an emerging documentary editor. It creates opportunities to help cultivate an editor’s artistry and craft, and expand his or her professional and creative community.
The 2017-18 Fellowship includes:
• Mentorship with veteran editors. 2016-17 mentors are Greg Finton, ACE (He Named Me Malala, Waiting for Superman); Pedro Kos (The Square, Waste Land); and Kim Roberts, ACE (The Hunting Ground, Food, Inc.)
• Admission to ACE EditFest Los Angeles
• Class at the Manhattan Edit Workshop, NYC, an Apple, Adobe & Avid Authorized Training Center
• Film Badge to the SXSW Film Festival in Austin, Texas
• Chrome Pass with full festival access to the Independent Film Festival Boston
• Admission to Manhattan Edit Workshop’s “Sight, Sound & Story” event in NYC
• Summer Series Triple Membership for Rooftop Films, NYC, plus a $1000 equipment rental credit
• Admission to International Documentary Association's (IDA) 2018 Getting Real conference — a three-day conference in Los Angeles… designed by documentary filmmakers for documentary filmmakers.
• All Access pass to Camden International Film Festival
• Admission to Contemplating the Cut workshop co-hosted by the Sundance Institute Documentary Film Program and the Schmeer Fellowship
• Season Pass to Stranger than Fiction at the IFC Center in NYC
• Travel expenses to two of the aforementioned events (airfare, three nights of hotel, per diems)
• Credential to the Sundance Film Festival
• Portrait session with professional photographer
• One year membership to the International Documentary Association (IDA)
• “Special" membership in American Cinema Editors (ACE)
• $1000 cash award
• $250 online gift certificate to Powell’s Books in Portland, Oregon (Karen’s favorite)
• DVDs of all 12 of Karen's films
For more information about Fellowship benefits and eligibility requirements, please visit the FAQ page.
AMERICAN CINEMA EDITORS (ACE) is an honorary association of professional film editors that celebrates and promotes the art of editing. Editors are included on the basis of professional achievement, dedication to educating others, and commitment to the craft of editing.