Awarded annually, the Karen Schmeer Film Editing Fellowship was created in 2010 to honor the memory of gifted editor Karen Schmeer. It is a year-long experience that encourages and champions the talent of an emerging documentary editor. It creates opportunities to help cultivate an editor’s artistry and craft, and expand his or her professional and creative community.
The 2019-20 Fellowship includes:
- EDITOR MENTORSHIP — with guidance from American Cinema Editors, the fellow will be given a mentorship with an established editor or editors who fit the fellow’s interests. The 2018-19 mentors are Sabine Krayenbühl (The Price of Everything, Letters from Baghdad), Michael Levine (Restrepo, The Cruise), and Enat Sidi (Jesus Camp, The Wolfpack).
- ACE EDITFEST LOS ANGELES ADMISSION — a seminar event featuring working experts in the field of editing.
- MANHATTAN EDIT WORKSHOP CLASS — editing class at New York City’s Manhattan Edit Workshop; an Apple, Adobe & Avid Authorized editing and training facility.
- SXSW FILM BADGE — full access to film screenings, panels, mentor sessions and more at the South By Southwest (SXSW) Film Festival in Austin, Texas.
- IFFBOSTON FESTIVAL CHROME PASS — full access to films, panels and more at the Independent Film Festival Boston.
- MANHATTAN EDIT WORKSHOP’S “SIGHT, SOUND & STORY” EVENT ADMISSION — a day-long seminar with editing professionals in New York City.
- ROOFTOP FILMS SUMMER SERIES FRIEND MEMBERSHIP & $1000 EQUIPMENT RENTAL CREDIT — complimentary entry for the fellow and a guest to all regularly priced Summer Series shows at New York’s long-running outdoor film festival, plus an equipment rental credit for up to $1000 for a projector, sound system, screen, etc. www.rooftopfilms.com
- INTERNATIONAL DOCUMENTARY ASSOCIATION’S GETTING REAL CONFERENCE PASS — a three-day conference in Los Angeles, designed by documentary filmmakers for documentary filmmakers.
- CAMDEN INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL PASS — located in Camden, Maine, CIFF is one of the top 12 documentary film festivals in the world.
- CONTEMPLATING THE CUT ADMISSION — an annual editing workshop co-hosted by the Sundance Institute Documentary Film Program and the Schmeer Fellowship.
- TRAVEL EXPENSES / ACCOMMODATIONS — travel, three nights of accommodations, and a per diem to two of the festivals/classes above, based on the fellow’s preference.
- SUNDANCE FILM FESTIVAL CREDENTIAL — access to non-theater festival venues such as the Filmmaker Lodge, New Frontier, and the Sundance ASCAP Music Café.
- AMERICAN CINEMA EDITORS (ACE) “SPECIAL” MEMBERSHIP — benefits include subscription to Cinema Editor Magazine
- INTERNATIONAL DOCUMENTARY ASSOCIATION (IDA) ONE-YEAR MEMBERSHIP — dedicated to building and serving the needs of a thriving documentary culture. www.documentary.org
- STRANGER THAN FICTION SEASON PASS — exclusive documentary film screenings at New York City’s IFC Center.
- ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD MEMBERSHIP — includes Adobe Premiere Pro
- DCTV MEMBERSHIP AND DCTV PRESENTS SEASON PASS — DCTV has been NYC’s preeminent community of and for documentary storytellers since 1972.
- $1000 CASH AWARD
- $250 POWELL'S BOOKS ONLINE GIFT CERTIFICATE — an online gift certificate to Powell’s Books (Karen’s favorite), based in Portland, Oregon.
- PORTRAIT SESSION WITH PHOTOGRAPHER
- DVD COLLECTION OF ALL 12 OF KAREN’S FEATURE FILMS
For more information about Fellowship benefits and eligibility requirements, please visit the FAQ page.
AMERICAN CINEMA EDITORS (ACE) is an honorary association of professional film editors that celebrates and promotes the art of editing. Editors are included on the basis of professional achievement, dedication to educating others, and commitment to the craft of editing.